Friday 19 September 2008

MY MUM


My mum's name is Onok Roemnasih. Onok is derived from the Sudanese word 'Denok', meaning Sexy; Roem is derived from the Sundane word 'harum', meaning fragrant and popular; and Asih means love in Sundanese. Therefore, Onok Roemnasih means sexy, popular and love.

Her parents made doa for her daughter to be sexy, popular and well-loved, and their dreams came true. My mum was very popular in her city while she was alive.

My mum comes from the Sundanese royal family, but she never used her royal titles. Her parents were popular and rich, and they were very strong Muslims. They owned a mosque and Madrasah (Islamic School), and were very generous to people in need. They gave a lot of land to the local community for public use. They were regarded as heroes in their home city. Her granddad and her dad were awarded medallions from Queen Wilhelmina of Holland.

The community never forgot what her parents and her family did for the people, and they named a street after her. The former Dutch colonialists, the Indonesian government and the public often remembered them. Even now, a lot of streets in Tasikmalaya use my mother's family name.

Her parents were so happy to have my mum – she was their favourite daughter. Everything she wanted, she could have. My Mum grew up in a loving and caring family.

Luckily she had a very good personality. She was like a star in her school, and was very popular in her community. She was an idol for her friends, and a lot of men wanted to marry her.

Who was this lucky man? He was my dad, Soebarnas.

They are married at a young age; my mum was just 17 years old. They have three daughters and three sons.

She learned a lot of life lessons from my dad. Without my dad's teaching, she wouldn't have known anything.

Her servants would do anything for her. After she was married with my dad, she liked to work in the home as a housewife. She learned a lot from my dad.

She had a career as a lecturer. She followed her parent's example in being kind to people. She was the chairman of some charities and Islamic societies.

After she married my dad, she was more popular than before. She was very happily married with my dad until she passed away on 4th January 2007.

We're glad that everything she did in her life makes us proud. Insya Allah, we want to follow her example too. She was good mum and wife. From her hands, we grew up. From her hands, she fed us. She showed us everything we needed to know about life. She opened our eyes to a complicated world. She taught us Islamic law and how we should follow Islam.

She had a dream that she would have one son-in-law who would be an imam in her mosque. She always prayed for her dream to come true. She hoped to have good grandchildren. She was worried that nobody would take my dad's place to be the imam in her father's mosque. Before, my dad was the imam in her father's mosque.

My mum wanted to hear Amir do the Azan every day, just as my dad did before.

I have been married with Amir since 1997, after he reverted to Islam. My mum was very happy to hear the news about my husband reverting to Islam. She hoped so much that Amir's dreams would come true. She loved my husband Amir, which is why she gave us land to build a mosque and house - she knew Amir wanted to have a house near a mosque. We hope her dreams come true.

We should be proud to follow her dream. Insya Allah we will make her dreams come true. Amin Ya Robal Alamin.

No comments: